Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Soft Baby Blocks

On a recent trip to Sao Paulo, I bought the latest edition (Spring 2008) of "Quilts and more". This is a very modern look and style of the age-old craft of quilting. This is where I got the idea to make these adorable cubes!

A large part of my inspiration for the projects I do is my 7 month old son. My most recent creation for him is a set of blocks made from swatches of fabric previously used in other projects. These are super easy to make! Just cut 6 3" x 3" squares in 6 different fabrics to make one cube. With right side together, sew 4 squares together, in a row and then sew the last two sides to make the sides of the cube. Sew a square to the bottom; then one to the top leaving a small opening to eventually turn to the right side and stuff. Then just finish stitching by hand. My son loves these! - they are easy for him to pick up (although he is not ready to stack them yet), he can easily put them is his mouth (Very Important at this stage), and they are easy to wash (also highly essential!).


No comments: